IRAQ: Contractor Medic Murdered at Abu Ghriab Prison

A medic working for a Halliburton subsidiary was shot and killed in the clinic at Abu Ghraib prison. "There was a knock at the clinic door, and when he opened it, they shot him."
Publisher Name: 
The Washington Post

A Spotsylvania medic was shot and killed this week in the clinic at Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad, where he was working for a Halliburton subsidiary.

Halliburton confirmed the death Tuesday of Jeffery Serrett, 43, who had been in Iraq since February. The company released no details.

His sister, Lola Serrett, who lives in his native Caroline County, said the company told his wife, Stephanie, that "there was a knock at the clinic door, and when he opened it, they shot him."

Asked about Serrett's killing, security at the clinic and whether investigators had identified any suspects, Halliburton spokeswoman Cathy Gist responded by e-mail that the company is committed to the mission in Iraq and that the region is very dangerous for both military and civilian workers.

Halliburton has lost 55 employees in Kuwait and Iraq, the company said, and two who are missing in the region.

Serrett's body was scheduled to be flown this weekend to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, where it was to remain for a day or two until it could be returned to the Fredericksburg area. Lola Serrett said funeral arrangements are incomplete.

Jeffery Serrett was the father of four children, 6 to 23, and he was looking forward to the birth of his first grandchild in February. He was an Army veteran and worked as a paramedic in Orange County before leaving in 2002 to work in Saudi Arabia. He later did similar work in the Marshall Islands before deciding to join KBR, a Halliburton engineering and construction subsidiary, in Iraq.

"With everything going on over there, he felt this was a way he could serve," said Lola Serrett, who lives in Port Royal and is one of Serrett's five siblings. "It definitely wasn't just a job."

Serrett told relatives in e-mails and during a visit home this summer that he had treated several Marines, including one who died in his arms, his sister said. But he shielded his family from the dangers of his job, telling them that he worked in the protected Green Zone. "He tried to protect us from a lot of the information, not wanting us to worry," Lola Serrett said.

After he was shot Tuesday, he was flown to Baghdad for surgery but died later that day.

AMP Section Name:War & Disaster Profiteering